Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tones on Tuesday #5 10.18.11

Welcome back to Tones on Tuesday! I have to mention how wonderful it was to see so many new faces linking up last week. Wonderful and yet it made picking a few to showcase so much tougher! I wouldn't have it any other way though :o).

Here my three showcases from last week. I have made a button for those who have been showcased so be sure to grab it!

Jeanne from Butterfly Tales
What I love about this picture is that it is not a simple black and white, it has a bit of color. I love how the texture and the tones work together to convey a vintage mood. Thank you for linking up Jeanne!

Ashley Sisk from Ramblings and Photos
IMG_8181 blog
Ashley has been sharing some amazing history from her Europe trip. These photos are from the Catacombs in Paris and the tones communicate a moody vibe that works so well with these images. I also love the soft feel of all of her black and white photos. Thank you for linking up Ashley!

Rachel from Crinkle Photography
The perspective of this shot is so interesting and I think the black and white seems to freeze this moment in time. Thank you for linking up Rachel!

Be sure to grab your button if you were showcased! (button for linking up can be found after the guidelines)


Now it's your turn to share your photo with altered tones. Here is the guidelines for Tones on Tuesday:

  • The basic idea is to share one photo where you have altered the tones. Such as a black and white photo or a sepia toned photo. Feel free to share the original and edit, or just the edit.
  • Please share a photo that you have taken and edited yourself.
  • If you have more than one photo in your post please indicate which one if for Tones on Tuesday.
  • Please link up with your permalink and not your blog address.
  • Attach the Tones on Tuesday button to your post
  • Leave comments for the other participants, share the love :o)!
  • Have fun!

Disclaimer - By participating you give Scattered Horizons permission to share your photo on this blog. Photographers will be given credit for their work.

For my photo this week I wanted to try something I had in mind when I envisioned this link up and that is coloring the tones of a photo. In this case I used two photo filters in Photoshop - one brown and one orange to get the effect I wanted. As I was editing I was having trouble getting the result I wanted, until I realized I wasn't sure what I wanted. This leads me to my photo tip for Photo Tip Tuesday. My tip is to have an intention, an intention for capturing the photo with your camera and an intention for editing. This is not always necessary and "accidents" or the unplanned can be beautiful. However, I find that when I have an intention for what I want to communicate I am able to focus and bring about the best possible shot. 

For this photo, my intention when shooting was to capture the Seattle Skyline framed through the structures at Gasworks Park and to capture the starbursts of light. Therefore I used a high aperture number to get the starbursts and set up my tripod to get some of the structure on each side. In editing, my intention was to remove some of the gray in the photo and replace it with warmer tones to showcase the light. Thus the orange and brown photo filters. I would love to know your thoughts and if you find having an intention helps or hinders you. Thank you for stopping by!

SOOC - except for the removal of a streak from a plane due to slow shutter speed
Settings: ISO 800, 24 mm, ss13.0secs, f/23 (full manual on tripod)

Edited in Photoshop with Orange and Brown Photo Filters
"It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting." - Lemony Snicket

Linking up with Jaymi's Photo Tip Tuesday. I learned so much last week and I can't wait to learn more! Also linking up with Capturing Beauty and The Creative Exchange. Be sure to check out the other beautiful shots. 




Live, Love, TRAVEL  



14 comments:

  1. I love the way you brought out the lights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, I'm blushing a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful edit! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh lov eyour photo - so pretty. And thanks for the shout out. So glad you liked my shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning emily! This is Jeanne here and had to tell you that I was so excited this morning when i looked at your blog to link my weeks photo to see that I had been "showcased". How fun is that, and want you to know that I have proudly displayed my button on my blog, right at the top, and also put it in my facebook page. Thanks so much! and glad that you liked my last weeks photo! Have a fun day and a great week. Jeanne from http://thebutterflymetamorphosis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tones and light in these Emily!
    So nicely done.

    Thank you for sharing at The Creative Exchange this week.

    Sending you wishes for a wonderful day!

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up! I added your blog button to my photo blog page at Ordinary Inspirations!

    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such gorgeous shots. Love that last one. Great edit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pictures. I love the mystery that has them all. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily, thank you so much for your visit and such a nice comment. This was my first entry here and it actually was a challenge for me. Up to now, I've worked at making the various colors work for me. Now I'm loving the B&W. Your photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your edit is great; it definitely enhances the "feel" of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you edited it - very subtle but makes a big difference. I planned to link my rosary beads, but I see it's expired. I'll keep your link-up in mind when I have more. Thanks for dropping by so I could find you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. those are very creative pictures!
    i'm really impressed!

    visiting via the creative exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this Emily, love the silhouette of the gasworks and the distant city lights. The gasworks makes really interesting shapes.
    I think it's great to have an intention for how you want your shot to look and then go with the flow if it doesn't work out exactly as planned. Sometimes mistakes and the unintended can be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.