Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Learned: Faces of the Clickin Walk 10.08.11

As I mentioned in my posts for the past few days, on Saturday during the Clickin Walk I spent a fabulous day walking around the Freemont area learning from some amazing photographers. It was a bit of a challenge for me as I don't really take photos of people other than the occasional family shot or self portrait for Facebook. I didn't really know where to start, but after watching the other photographers and getting some tips from Melissa I took a few photos of the fantastic models who came along with us. I learned that photographing people can be fun and challenging myself can be rewarding.

I was drawn to photographing the children who came along as I really felt like I could capture their personalities and because I had such a fun time talking to them. As I was taking the pictures I really didn't have time to think about all the things I think about when I take a landscape or nature shot because these little people move quickly and a lot! So when I opened the photos up when I got home I noticed all the things that could have been better. I know I have a long way to go and I know I will most likely focus mainly on landscapes and nature, but I do think learning about people photography can only make me a better photographer overall. And that is what my journey is about!

I would love feedback on these images and any tips and tricks for shooting people. I would love to learn more!

Settings: ISO 800, 55mm, ss1/160, f/5.6 (full manual)
Edited with Lightroom - adjustment to white balance, minor adjustment to basic settings


Settings: ISO 800, 55mm, ss1/1000, f/5.6 (full manual)
Edited with Lightroom and Photoshop - minor adjustment to basic settings and healing brush



Settings: ISO 400, 55mm, ss1/200, f/5.6 (full manual)
Edited with Lightroom - adjustment to white balance, minor adjustment to basic settings

"There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million." - Walt Streightiff

Linking up with Click it Up a Notch for I Learned and What's Up Wednesday. Be sure to check out what others have learned this week and the other photography blogs!


Click It Up A Notch 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos from your son and your family. Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first photo is really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I'm so glad you went and had a great time. The kids are so cute, I love the one with the statue. I love how you got in nice and close on the first one. I'm not sure if you could have turned him to get catchlings in his eyes but it just brings more vibrancy into the portrait.
    One thing I realised these holidays is how much I prefer my 50mm for portraits compared to my kit lens. So for a first time and using a kit lens you did a great job and you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what adorable photos!

    and your son is really handsome!

    dropping by via lisa's.

    have a great day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have LOVED to have done a Click and Walk. What fun. And I'm with you, I am soooo uncomfortable taking photos of strangers. But I'm going to try to overcome that myself. I think you did a GREAT job!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.