Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Snow Perspective 1.16.12

We are now on our third snow day. I am grateful for the snow and the chance to see things from a different perspective. I have mentioned before that I find that snow changes things. Not only does it soften the landscape, but it also slows down the pace and allows you to see things in a way you may not have before. Without the snow I may not have been drawn to the moss clinging to the trees and the weathered bird house perched among the branches. The snow provided a contrast with the greens and amplified the details. I love the texture of the moss, the snow and the bird house. In processing I did a little work with white balance for the first time in a while. I found that snow makes it difficult to get the white balance right. I also worked with the basic settings to play up the details and the contrast. Any tips for getting snow white balance right? Do I need to get a gray card? Thank you for stopping by!

Settings: ISO 400, 55mm, ss1/60, f/8.0 (full manual, cloudy wb)

Settings: ISO 400, 50mm, ss1/160, f/5.0 (full manual, cloudy wb)
"I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may, - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful." - John Constable


Linking up with the link ups below! Take a moment to check out the other fabulous photos.
 

6 comments:

  1. luv your title today, the snow if much fun to photography. We don't have any here low 70s still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos! Enjoy all that pretty snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrr! These are nice these shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mossy shot. Enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dono wat it is but the green against the snow looks fantastic when viewed in full.

    i've not taken too many snow shots but i believe the grey card really helps. i dont have one but a learned photographer once mentioned tat u can record the settings with auto wb n aperture priority using a single solid could, even ur palm, n the see if u get the same results with snow alone. if not go manual n use the previous settings. works most of the times...


    also, Emily i'd really appreciate if you could contribute for Saturday Sareenity.

    have a great weekend,
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.