Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tones on Tuesday #16 1.3.11

The first Tones on Tuesday link up of 2012! How exciting! I can't wait to see what you have to share. But first, let's look back at last week (and last year :o) with a few showcases...

Evie and Beth at EB Photo Journal
The vibrancy in these tones is stunning and the colors work so well together. I am so glad that you decided to link up Evie and Beth!

The detail in this photo is stunning! I love the tight framing and the texture that softens the overall photo. Thank you for linking up your lovely photo Nancy!

Jeanne from Butterfly Tales
Jeanne blows me away with her editing skills. I love the texture she added to an amazing original picture with wonderful light. Thank you for linking up Jeanne!

Be sure to grab your this button if you were showcased! (button for linking up can be found after the guidelines)


Now it's your turn to share your photo with altered tones. Here is the guidelines for Tones on Tuesday:
  • The basic idea is to share one photo where you have altered the tones. Such as a black and white, sepia toned, selective coloring or colored photo. Feel free to share the original and edit, or just the edit.
  • Please share a photo that you have taken and edited yourself.
  • If you have more than one photo in your post please indicate which one if for Tones on Tuesday.
  • Please link up with your permalink and not your blog address.
  • Attach the Tones on Tuesday button to your post
  • Leave comments for the other participants, share the love :o)!
  • Have fun!
Disclaimer - By participating you give Scattered Horizons permission to share your photo on this blog. Photographers will be given credit for their work.

As I mentioned on Sunday, I got a new lens for Christmas and I took it out shooting New Years Day. My mom and I took our first of many trips in 2012 to Ecola State Park and Indian Beach near the town of Cannon Beach, Oregon. If you follow my blog you know I love sunsets, silhouettes and the beach. This picture has all 3! And the new lens performed really well and allowed me to capture my favorite thing to shoot. It really is true what I have read on countless blogs, a new lens can make a world of difference in your photos. I cannot wait for the numerous visits to the beach that I know are in my future and a chance to use my lens more. My goal with the photo was to capture the stunning color in the sky and the mist coming off the waves as they rolled in. I metered off the pink in the sky as that was the color that stood out to me. For the edit, I converted it to black and white in Lightroom. I increased the contrast, brightness and clarity. I added a touch of fill light and decreased the blacks. I really like the end result, but love that I have the color version as well.

SOOC Shot
Settings: ISO 200, 50mm, ss1/1000, f/7.1 (full manual, sunlight wb)

Black and White Edit 
With Lightroom
"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

Joining the link ups below. Be sure to check out the beautiful shots and join the Tones on Tuesday link up found further down!
  Sweet Shot Day  Live, Love, Travel


13 comments:

  1. It looks like you have some truly outstanding winners. Love the pictures you posted : ) Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that shot of the beach- makes me miss it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful choices emily, and I love your black and white photograph here. So nicely done!

    Thank you so very much for sharing with us this week at The Creative Exchange.

    Have a great day!

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I actually really like the SOOC of that sunset shot--beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing work by Butterfly Tales! I'm going with the warm yellow hues today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your shot! I also often can't decide which version I like better - it's always good to keep both of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Emily for hosting. I added this link-up to my "link-up parties" page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the new lens ;) Your shots are gorgeous. I love the SOOC and the edit. Both are so lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!

    We spent part of our summer in Seaside / Cannon Beach and it was a photographer's dream. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.