Saturday, August 6, 2011

Magenta Macro 08.06.11

I have had my SLR camera for a little over 7 months now and I freely admit that I know very little about how to use it. My photography class in high school taught me a great deal about the mechanics of photography with film. Years and the switch to digital have managed to wipe a lot of that knowledge out. I have been slowly re-learning and newly discovering how to take pictures. Up until this point I have been using the automatic settings and focusing on controlling the exposure. Today I did a little research and began playing around with the ISO, aperture and shutter speed along with the exposure. I am visiting my dad in Astoria and planned to do some landscape pictures of his gorgeous bay view, but the weather was not cooperating. So I decided to do a bit of macro photography instead. My goal was to capture the range of color in the flowers. The settings I used did a pretty good job, but I went in and played with the hue-saturation of the magenta and the green to create the picture below. I still have a ways to go with selecting the proper settings.

Settings: ISO 100, 1/50, f/16, -1 exposure 



'Tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes!
~William Wordsworth, "Lines Written in Early Spring," Lyrical Ballads, 1798



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.