Friday, August 19, 2011

Favorite Photo of the Week: Dahlias Alight 08.18.11

I feel a celebration is in order! This is the first week I have been back to work and I was able to meet my goal of a post a day even with such a drastic change to my schedule. I am proud of this accomplishment. After visiting Jaymi's blog Live, Love, TRAVEL and seeing her list of photo challenges, I thought a great way to celebrate would be to participate in some Favorite Photo of the Week contests/challenges. 

The photo below is by far my favorite of the week. I took it yesterday evening in my back yard. To read about the shooting session and the unexpected encounter during it, go here. I picked this photo as my favorite for two reasons. Number one - I LOVE the lighting, especially how it is shining through the back of the flower. Number two - I captured this shot using full manual mode and was able to get the camera to do what I wanted it to do and had to do only minor edits with brightness, contrast and clarity. I think this means I am learning!

Settings: ISO 100, 1/20, f/5.6
"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul." - Luther Burbank

I would love to know your thoughts on this picture - what works, how it could be improved, etc. I have been getting such wonderful and thoughtful comments and suggestions on other pictures. I feel blessed to have such talented photographs giving me pointers and helping me grow. Thank you to everyone who has commented on my photos since I started this blog, keep them coming! Also thank you to those who are following along, I can't wait to share more of this journey with you!

Linking up with Fabulous Fridays and Favorite Photo of the Week. Head over and check out the other fantastic entries!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Emily I love this! Just gorgeous, love the pink of the flowers and the blue grey background are just perfect together. The light is just sublime, love it through the petals.
    Well done getting it completely in manual, did you use a tripod, if you didn't I would have suggested to increase your ISO so you could increase your shutter speed, 1/20 is a bit slow for a handheld shot, you risk getting camera shake, but you didn't, it's wonderfully clear.
    Love the bokeh in the background, it's gorgeous!
    Love the quote, I've never seen that one before and I've searched for flower quotes, it's beautiful.
    Well done, you should be proud of yourself, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from "Favorite Photo of the Week". I'm slowly morphing into manual mode myself. Emphasis on slooooooooowly :). I love, love, LOVE the lighting in your capture. Brilliant.

    Kathy

    www.youllshootyoureyeout-kathy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo! Good for you for shooting in manual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Dahlias are my absolute favorite flower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, lovely to meet you and your blog :) I think you've composed this photo really well, I love it!

    Great quote too, I feel the same way

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.