Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Learned: On the Road with Hipstamatic 05.21.11

One of the first apps I got on my iPhone was Hipstamatic. I had heard about it on a few websites and really liked what it added to the photos I saw. I decided to download it while walking on the beach in Lincoln City, where there was very little signal. Needless to say it did not download until I got back in the car and headed for home. Once it did finish downloading I had to try it out, but was riding in the car (passenger seat :o) on a stretch of highway where it was difficult to pull over. I decided to take some pictures out the window and just see what happened. This picture is one of my favorites from those shots. I was impressed with the colors and the antique feel of the photographs. I used the combination of the John lens and Ina film for my first pictures and that continues to be my favorite pairing, by far!

Since that day I have enjoyed using Hipstamatic for the interesting, unpredicted and instant outcome of having a photo where the only thinking involved is in the subject matter and composition. It is nice to focus and develop one part of my photography skills. However, this week as I have been making the switch and commitment to manual mode, I have learned that creating and controlling my pictures can be fulfilling and rewarding on such a deeper level. With Hipstamatic I pressed the button and the app did the work, but with manual mode I created the photo. Don't get me wrong, I love Hipstamatic and LemeLeme and other iPhone photography apps. But I am loving owning my pictures in a way I haven't in a long time.

Flashback #2
Location: On the road back from Lincoln City
Date: May 21st, 2011
Settings: Lens - John S, Film - Ina's 1969
What I Like: The colors and the lighting
What I Think Needs Work: The subject is a little too centered and linear for me


"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.  I travel for travel's sake.  The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson


That is what I learned this week, head over to Click it Up a Notch to see what others have learned.




Click it Up a Notch

5 comments:

  1. ahh I love hipstamatic also! I think it helps me to develop more of an eye for compositions. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the square format of these (hipstamatic and Instargram)- really causes you to look at a picture differently. Love the colors in your pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Emily! I really like that you included both the fence and the clouds. Love the colours, before a storm intense colours. I think the vignetting is a little dark, and actually hides how beautiful the shot is. Very dramatic shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo is gorgeous! I love seeing such beautiful camera phone aps. In a square crop like this, I think you can "get away" with a center composition more easily. It works for me in this photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just beautiful! The colors are bright and so vivid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.