Thursday, August 11, 2011

Flashback: Cathlamet Marina 06.11.11

It seems my photographic life is now split into "pre-manual mode" and "post manual mode" :o). This picture is a "pre-manual mode" picture taken in the small southern Washington town of Cathlamet. I was visiting my dad for the weekend and he took my brother and I on a ferry ride across the Columbia River from Westport, Oregon to Puget Island, Wa. I have been in many ferry rides having been a Western Washington resident for most of my life, but this one was different. It is very small with a wonderful $5.00 price, it is across a river and not the sound and it is completely open. It also feels different...more intimate and connected to nature. It was a fun experience I would definitely recommend.

Once we disembarked from the ferry we headed to the small town of Cathlamet and explored the town, including the house of Julia Butler Hansen. We then headed to the marina and I was instantly drawn to the flowers for their color and the interest provided in the background. I shot this photo in auto mode and focused on the flowers with no thought to what the background would look like (in terms of focus). I do like how it turned out, but think I could have done it differently in manual mode. The composition and framing are what I love most about this shot with the line formed by the flowers and the visual interest in the background. 

Flashback #3
Date: June 11th, 2011
Settings: Shot in Auto - 1/200, f/10
Post Processing: Sharpening, Color Levels (to bring out more of the green and magenta)
What I Like: The framing and composition
What I Think Needs Work: The lighting and sharpness

"Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." - Hans Christian Anderson

1 comment:

  1. All of your pictures of the northwest are really making this Jersey girl want to come visit!
    Love this picture- the flowers in the foreground really frame the boat beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.