Saturday, August 27, 2011

Flashback: Whale Watching 06.25.11

For my birthday this year my brother and his girlfriend bought tickets to go whale watching for the three of us and our mom. We boarded the Puget Sound Express in Port Angeles, WA and headed out to sea. The company is run by a family and the crew was knowledgeable and fun. This was my second time whale watching. The first time I went with my best friend from Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands on Orcas Island Eclipse Charters. We had the rare pleasure of seeing all of the pods that live in the area greeting each other after being out to sea. This time we had to chase the whales into Canada off the coast of Victoria. We saw a group of about 6 whales, one of which was a baby, swimming and possibly sleeping as their behaviors somewhat indicated. They also did some spy hopping, which is where their head comes out of the water vertically. It is an amazing experience that I highly recommend!

The photo below was taken before I decided to switch to shooting in manual mode. It was taken on full auto with my zoom lens. I was impressed by the speed of the shooting even with not being on sport mode and the ability of the zoom lens to get closer pictures as the rule for boats is to stay 200 yards away from the whales. I love the spy hopping I was able capture and the dorsal fins of the two other whales. I am thinking that a higher aperture number would have helped the picture. I am glad I am shooting manual now, but I am wondering if I would have been able to shoot manual with the fast movement of the whales. If you have any thoughts or suggestions I would love to hear them :o)!

Flashback #6
Location: Off the coast of Victoria BC on the Puget Sound Express
Date: June 25th, 2011
Settings: Shot in Auto ISO 200, 250mm, ss1/2000, f/5.6
Post Processing: Cropped, all the basic settings were played with
What I Like: The orcas and the line of the land
What I Think Needs Work: The depth of field, the sharpness
"Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent." - H.P. Lovecraft

2 comments:

  1. That is a great shot! I was so hoping to catch some spy hopping, but no such luck. We didn't go out on a boat, though. Hubs and I decided we should do that on our next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful! Great capture!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.