Saturday, August 13, 2011

Project 64: Cadet Blue at Del Ray Beach 08.09.11

My favorite place to be is the beach. I feel the most centered and content when walking barefoot in the sand listening to the waves crash on the shore. I have been to many beaches in Washington and Oregon and find that each has something special to offer. This photo was taken at Del Ray State Park in Oregon, which is a beach I have never been to before. It was the last day of visiting my dad in Astoria and my brother and I had just finished lunch. We were driving and I noticed that a bit of the sun was coming out and turning the edges of the clouds Cadet Blue, the color of the week at Project 64. Other than the color of the sky, the first thing that struck me about Del Ray beach is that it is secluded and peaceful. Walking over the dunes from the parking lot to the sand the sights and sounds of the ocean were revealed. This day they were doing construction on the beach (moving sand) and even that did not disrupt the calm atmosphere. 

My goal with the photo was to express the vastness of the ocean and communicate the beauty of the sky. I find that scattered clouds add so much to the sky. I also wanted to showcase the color. In post processing I adjusted the color levels to play up the blue and worked with the contrast. I find the composition interesting with the many lines and the reflection of the sky, but I am wondering if there is something missing. Can it hold its own or does it need a vertical line? 

Settings: ISO 100, 1/80, f/20 (full manual mode :o) with a tripod)
“Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.” - Robert Henri


This is an entry for Project 64: Cadet Blue. Check out the other entries and find out more about this fun and inspiring challenge!

project64 button

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, this shot is really making me want to be at the beach. I love the coloring in the sky to. The blue is beautiful. I had to look at the photo for a bit but for me what is missing is the composition. Have you learned of rule of thirds? Not sure what editing program you have but if you have full photoshop your crop tool will show this. I feel like having your horizon right in the middle is what might be off. If you were to move your horizon to the bottom line of the rule of thirds and leaving the sky in the top two thirds of your photos I think it would give it that little extra something. Anyways, just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the beach :) this picture is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome shot. I love how the clouds and the water really draw your eye off to the right. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely shot, really conveys the peacefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love walking on beaches as well. There is always something therapeutic about watching the ocean. Lovely shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely shot! I wish I had time to focus on landscapes, but with two toddler/preschool aged boys and a busy hubby I rarely find the time to be alone long enough to search for the picturesque scenes. Thanks for linking up at project 64!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.