Monday, May 20, 2013

Tones on Tuesday #78 5.21.13

I was so excited to see over 30 photos linked up with a great mix of those who link up faithfully and those here for the first time. I am so glad to see photos from around the world here each week! My hope is that it will continue to grow even though it makes my job of picking 3 showcases that much harder. Very tough this week, but here are 3 that caught my eye...

Patrice at Old Back Porch
I love the vintage feel of the tones here! I agree with Patrice, they look like they were pulled right out of the ground. Thank you for sharing!

The vibrant colors are stunning and their richness draws you in as if you are walking along the beach as well. Thank you for linking up Heather!

Abrianna at Cowgirl Yankee
The black and white is perfect here! The dramatic tones emphasize the details on this cute cat's face! Thank you for sharing Abrianna!

Patrice, Heather and Abrianna please go HERE to grab your showcase button.

Now it's your turn to share your photo with altered tones. Here are the guidelines for Tones on Tuesday:
  • The basic idea is to share one photo where you have altered the tones. Such as a black and white, sepia toned, selective coloring or colored photo. Feel free to share the original and edit, or just the edit.
  • Please share a photo that you have taken and edited yourself.
  • One photo per photographer please. If you have more than one photo in your post please indicate which one is for Tones on Tuesday. If you link up more than once only the first photo will be considered for showcasing.
  • Please link up with your permalink and not your blog address.
  • Attach the Tones on Tuesday button or a link back here to your post.
  • Leave comments for at least 3 other participants, share the love :o)!
  • Have fun!
Disclaimer - By participating you give Scattered Horizons permission to share your photo on this blog. Photographers will be given credit for their work.


I was unable to get out and shoot this weekend. I hope to shoot some flowers around my house tomorrow if I get off in time and the light holds out. However, I did happen upon this snail one morning before work and had to take a few seconds to shoot it before I dashed off to my classroom. I wish I had more time to play with the aperture to get more of the snail's body in focus, but there is something about the focus on the shell that just sort of works for me. I have another one to post on Thursday that is closer with more detail, but the shell is out of focus and the body is in focus. What do you think? Does the snail body out of focus detract too much? What do you think about the opposite with the body being in focus and the shell out?

Settings: ISO 640, 100mm, ss1/160, f/4.0
"Time sometimes flies like a bird, sometimes crawls like a snail; but a man is happiest when he does not even notice whether it passes swiftly or slowly." - Ivan Turgenev

Joining the link ups below. Be sure to check out the beautiful shots and join the Tones on Tuesday link up found further down!
P52 Sweet Shot Tuesday with Kent Weakley  Inspired Tuesday 

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for featuring my photo! I grabbed your button and will be displaying it on my sidebar once I get my layout straightened out.

    It was a great birthday present when I came here to find my photo featured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote and interesting tonal image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That snail is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful images! I really like the first one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't recall the last time I saw a snail here -- maybe never! I really like the b/w edit Emily. Thank you for sharing at TM this week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous snapshots! I love the featured beach photo. :D
    Lui of Unfiltered Musings

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting subject -- the snail! I always love quotes about time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the snail shot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.