Thursday, May 2, 2013

Project 52: Week 18/52

I mentioned on Tuesday that I had an amazing photography experience on Saturday. Let me set the stage, on Friday at 8:00pm I saw on Facebook that the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival would be having balloons launching the next morning starting at 5:45am. The Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm is located in Woodburn, Oregon and that is a 3 1/2 hour drive from my house. I had seen the same post last weekend, but I had other plans. With weather conditions being ever changing in the Pacific Northwest, the balloon pilots only give notice the night before. I said at the time I would go the next time around, not expecting it to be the very next weekend. 

Upon seeing the post, I went to bed immediately. I woke up at 1am and my wonderful mother and I left at 2am. I am so glad she came along as she drove down while I slept and I drove back while she did. We arrived after 3 1/2 hours right as the balloon pilots were pulling in and the sun was just coming up behind Mount Hood. It was quiet in the field, with only the sounds of the balloonists firing up the hot air and other photographers talking about how to get the shot. It was one of those experiences where you marvel at the fact that you get to be there as you take it all in. 

Below is a collection of images from the morning, including all 4 of the balloons that took off that day. I was cursing the fact that I did not have a wider angle lens because my best photo came from my iPhone. I used PicTapGo for editing. If you have an iPhone I highly recommend it! It is amazing!


Even so, I feel like I was able to capture some of the magic with my 50mm and 100mm. After shooting at the tulip field we tried to go see Mount Hood near some lakes, but the roads were closed for the winter. So, I climbed a trail up near some power lines where the road was closed and was able to get the last two shots of the mountain. There is something so elegant about Mount Hood and I just loved those clouds. It was such an amazing day even with the lens issues and struggles with light. The challenges just added to the experience!

I would love to know your thoughts and favorites! 

Settings: ISO 100, 100mm, ss0.4sec, f/16

Settings: ISO 100, 50mm, ss1/5sec, f/22

Settings: ISO 100, 100mm, ss1/10sec, f/14

Settings: ISO 100, 50mm, ss1/160, f/14

Settings: ISO 100, 50mm, ss1/250, f/9.0

Settings: ISO 100, 50mm, ss1/400, f/9.0

Settings: ISO 100, 100mm, ss1/400, f/9.0

Settings: ISO 100, 100mm, ss1/800, f/4.5

Settings: ISO 100, 50mm, ss1/1000, f/4.0

Settings: ISO 400, 100mm, ss1/400, f/16

Settings: ISO 400, 50mm, ss1/400, f/16
"A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety." - Ansel Adams

  the long road  Weekly Top Shot     Ni Hao Yall Nurture Photography Challenge - Spring 2013 Edition

13 comments:

  1. THE THIRD ONE DOWN IS SO STUNNING. beyond words. amazing. speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are all stunning! And I couldn't believe the first one was an iPhone pic...so gorgeous! I'm definitely getting that app!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all so pretty! That is awesome your mom went with you to share in the drive! I bet that was so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my - I'm a bit jealous of that field of tulips I have to admit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful, beautiful photos you have. The field of tulips is truly a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly! Very hard to chose a favorite out of these! What a great idea this was and lovely shots with or without a lens problem. Lighting and beauty every shot. Love this tulip field and how you have incorporated it in to all of your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that first one! I'm so impressed with your devotion...driving more than three hours through the night! I've already been thinking about how I'm going to have to get up to photograph a sunrise when we get back to WA next month; that's how hard it is for me to get motivated! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely breathtaking photos Emily! That field of tulips alone is incredible, but then add the beauty of those hot air balloons and wow!! i'm also in love with the tulip photo with the bug on it!! gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Love that first balloon shot with it floating over the tulips. Great capture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the third one with the sunlight over the tulip field. Perfect angle, and perfect light. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful opportunity! How could I ever pic a favorite? They're all great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Tish. Tulips are my favorite but the balloons with the fields of endless flowers-- breathtaking! Not sure if it was planned or not, but wow! Love the way you've captured the light in that third one. You live near such amazing scenery, what a blessing! Thanks so much for sharing your talents and beauty and linking to our Nurture Photography Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.