Sunday, December 2, 2012

Style Tips and Tricks: What Have I Been Shooting Lately?

I thought for my tips and tricks post this week that I would share what I have been shooting lately - a mix of sunset shots, landscapes and macros - and what I have been pondering. Lately, I have been wondering a lot about my style. I must say that I have a great deal of learning and growing to do before I am specifically able to define my style. However, I wanted to share a few things I have discovered about it so far.

1. True to Life - Don't get me wrong, I love presets, textures and other techniques that drastically change a photo from what was seen. However, I feel most accomplished and fulfilled when I am able to produce a photo that is as close to what I saw in reality as possible. 

2. Vibrant and Saturated - I love for my pictures to have vibrant and rich colors. At times I over saturate and use the vibrance a bit too much in my editing, something I am working on, but I feel that the world is full of such amazing color and I want my photos to show that. 

3. Details and The Big Picture - With the new addition of a macro lens I now find myself wanting to capture not only the big picture of the landscape, but also the little details. A variety of perspectives is something that is important to me in life and in photography. 

4. The Feeling of a Place - My goal has evolved as I have taken more and more pictures from capturing what I see to capturing the feeling of what I see. One of the things I love about travel is that each place I visit leaves me with a lasting feeling, whether it be the serenity of the beach or the awe inspiring beauty of a sunset, I always walk away with something. I strive to communicate that feeling in my photos. 

The concept of style has been elusive to me and I have only started to understand it as I have discovered photographers who inspire me who have a distinct style - something that makes me know a picture was taken and edited by them. I don't think I have that yet, but I am moving in the right direction :o). 

I would love to hear how your search for your photography style is going. Feel free to share in the comments or on the Facebook page!

Settings: ISO 400, 50mm, ss1/125, f/16
Location: Astoria, Oregon Riverwalk

Settings: ISO 800, 50mm, ss1/400, f/16
Location: Astoria, Oregon Riverwalk

Settings: ISO 400, 100mm, ss1/400, f/6.3
Location: Fort Stevens State Park

Settings: ISO 400, 50mm, ss1/640, f/10
Location: Fort Stevens State Park

Settings: ISO 400, 100mm, ss1/250, f/6.3
Location: Fort Stevens State Park

Settings: ISO 800, 50mm, ss1/1250, f/14
Location: Nisqually Wildlife Refuge

Settings: ISO 1600, 100mm, ss1/400, f/2.8
Location: The Summit at Snoqualmie Pass 


Settings: ISO 1600, 100mm, ss1/320, f/2.8
Location: The Summit at Snoqalmie Pass
“My life is shaped by the urgent need to wander and observe, and my camera is my passport.” – Steve McCurry


Coming up in the next few weeks for Tips and Tricks - 
1. My favorite iPhone and iPad Photography Apps (I will also be hosting a giveaway for the apps I feature)
2. My favorite photography blogs and photographers
3. Is there something you want to know about? Just let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Your photos are gorgeous! I love seeing the Pacific Northwest through your lens!

    I don't know that I have found my style either. I love portrait photography, nature, landscape, and macro. I have found that I prefer clean editing though. Once in a blue moon I will run an action or add a texture, but the majority of my shots are clean, simple edits.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.