Monday, September 10, 2012

Tones on Tuesday #45 09.11.12

I cannot believe that 11 years ago this Tuesday I woke up to the news of the World Trade Center attacks and the images that could not possibly be real. I will take a moment to remember that day and all those whose lives were cut short. The day will pass and we will all go back to our lives, because I truly believe that is the best way to honor the memory of that fateful day.

Thank you for sharing your photos last week! It was amazingly difficult to pick just 3!

Dina at 4 Lettre Words
I love the depth of field in this photo and how it focuses in on the flags and headstones. You can feel the honor and remembrance in this shot. It also seemed fitting for this week. Thank you for sharing and for linking up Dina!

This perspective is stunning! I love the lines of the staircase and the way that the black and white adds a sense of softness and a sense of drama. Thank you for linking up each week Jaymi! 

Elena at Cropped Stories
What an adorable photo! I love the thoughtful expression, the pose and the softness of the black and white. Thank you for sharing with us Elena!

Dina, Jaymi and Elena please go HERE to grab your showcase button.

Now it's your turn to share your photo with altered tones. Here are the guidelines for Tones on Tuesday:
  • The basic idea is to share one photo where you have altered the tones. Such as a black and white, sepia toned, selective coloring or colored photo. Feel free to share the original and edit, or just the edit.
  • Please share a photo that you have taken and edited yourself.
  • One photo per photographer please. If you have more than one photo in your post please indicate which one is for Tones on Tuesday.
  • Please link up with your permalink and not your blog address.
  • Attach the Tones on Tuesday button or a link back here to your post.
  • Leave comments for at least 3 other participants, share the love :o)!
  • Have fun!
Disclaimer - By participating you give Scattered Horizons permission to share your photo on this blog. Photographers will be given credit for their work.


I mentioned last week that I drove my brother to a wedding in Lake Chelan and had a brief opportunity to photograph the sun setting over the lake. For me, the feeling of this sunset was of a quiet drama with the dramatic colors and the stillness of the setting. I haven't been shooting much lately with the start of school and my 6th year of teaching. I have been reflecting on my photographic journey lately. I am a bit conflicted about the fact that I shoot so many sunsets. On the one hand sunsets are always an amazing experience for me. I feel at peace and connected to my faith and my self in a way that I don't often find in other moments. On the other hand I want to push myself and find other subjects to photograph to broaden my style. How do you push yourself, yet remain true to what you love to shoot?

Settings: ISO 100, 18mm, ss1/40, f/5.6
"The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man." - Euripides

Joining the link ups below. Be sure to check out the beautiful shots and join the Tones on Tuesday link up found further down!
 Sweet Shot Tuesday with Kent Weakley      and then, she {snapped} 



10 comments:

  1. Wow...thank you so much, Emily!

    I love you shot for this week. I could never get enough of the sky. Just glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selections this week Emily. Thank you for hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, cannot believe it's been 11 years...Gorgeous shots this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful pictures. Love the couple on the stairs!!

    Blessings...♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks; don't know how you do it! There are always so many great ones to choose from :o) I'm so glad you liked my pic! I just love my baby's pose in this shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for featuring my photo!! Aww you thanked me for linking up each week and it was probably the first week in a long time that I DIDN'T get a chance to link up it! I'll be back this week though! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.